The 10 Best White Noise Machines For Sleep
I’ve had a couple of periods in my life where I had difficulty sleeping. It was awful and nearly killed me. Nothing is worse than insomnia. Being a light sleeper doesn’t help matters. I know this from experience since I’m an extremely light sleeper. The slightest noise will wake me up. White noise machines are indispensable if you’re in one of those negative sleep cycles or just a fussy sleeper in general. Here is my review of 10 of the best white noise machines for sleep.
Do White Noise Machines Work?
What exactly is a white noise machine and do they work? White noise machines produce a variety of ambient sounds, in the higher-frequency ranges, such as, falling rain, rustling wind, or other peaceful sounds of nature, promoting both relaxation and sleep. These low, steady, peaceful hums block out distractions and noises so you can sleep soundly. White noise machines are somewhat of a misnomer because, in reality, many of them emit what is referred to as pink, and sometimes, brown noise. Noise color is determined by the frequencies it contains. White noise comprises a wide range of frequencies, as does pink noise, but pink noise concentrates its sounds on the lower frequencies, creating deeper tones, which to some people are more gentle and subdued. Brown noise further emphasizes sounds in the low-frequency ranges, resembling the sound of rushing water, and is highly effective for promoting relaxation.
It’s no surprise white noise machines are also called sound soothers. I like that term because white noise is very soothing, helping you fall asleep and stay asleep. They’re definitely worth looking into it if you struggle with any kind of sleep issue.
Even if sleep isn’t your problem, white noise block out distractions if you’re trying to study or concentrate. They’re also great for meditation, relieving stress, and for those who have tinnitus or vertigo. They’re even soothing for pets. And if you work at night, and have to sleep during the day, they’re a lifesaver.
Features To Look For When Buying White Noise Machines
Here are a few features to look for before purchasing a machine:
- How many sounds are available?
- Can you customize the sounds?
- Does the machine have a timer?
- Is it electric or battery-powered?
- What type of noise does it deliver? White, brown, or pink?
- Is it reasonably prices?
- Is there a warranty and/or a money-back guarantee?
White Noise Machines
Now to my review of some of the best white noise machines for sleep. They are in no particular order.
1. Homgeek White Noise Sound Machine
Customizable sounds, dual volume, and adjustable timer function.
- Comes with a timer that you can set in increments of 30, 60, and 90 minutes with auto shut off.
- Small and compact enough to fit in the palm of your hand
- Adjustable sound control
- Loud enough to be heard in a large room
- A blend of 10 natural sound options with over 1,000 combinations
- Customize sounds to fit your needs
- Ability to stream your own music as it comes with a BT speaker that can connect with BT enabled devices
- Powered by AC or USB for convenient phone charging
- No cons from what I can tell
This sound machine has a 5-star rating with a ton of favorable reviews. It’s reasonably priced, and I love that you can customize the sounds. It’s also awesome that you can charge your phone from the USB port on the machine. Overall, this is a fabulous option if you’re looking for a white noise machine, and they offer free shipping as well!
2. AuCuTee Real Fan White Noise Machine
Enjoy the relaxing sound of rushing air with this fan-based white noise machine with automated timer.
- Fan-based, classic white noise
- Automatic turn-off with 30 and 60 minute settings
- Two USB built-in charging ports with DC 5V/1A
- Dual fan-speed modes
- Adjustable case makes it easy to adjust and fine tune the tone
- Free shipping
- Takes five minutes before its reaches maximum volume, which could be louder
- No battery option
- May not be ideal for travel due to size
The classic white noise the AuCuTee produces is consistent, soothing, and relaxing, making it great for sleeping at night, baby’s nap time, or relaxation at the office. It’s different from the typical white noise machines that loop repetitive audio tracks. The fan-based noise it emits mimics the sound of rushing air, and the shushing sounds a mother makes when rocking her infant. This machine is portable, making it ideal for traveling, and blocking out unfamiliar noises while away from home. The automatic shut-off timer, and dual built-in USB ports make charging your phone easy.
3. HoMedics Deep Sleep Therapy Machine
Dual speakers, adjustable tone and volume, adapter or battery operated.
- 12 soothing nature sounds
- Automatic timer in increments of 30, 60, and 90 minutes
- Automatic shut-off timer
- 4 sound settings
- Custom sounds and tones
- LCD screen
- Comes with remote
- Powered by an adapter, which is included, or 4 AA batteries (not included)
- Does not include pink noise options
- Repeating patterns may get annoying
Enjoy the soft sounds of nature with this custom white noise machine. Block out distractions, such as, snoring, noisy neighbors, or traffic. Set the timer for 30, 60, or 90 minutes, or choose the option to leave the machine on all night. The custom tones make it a great option for those suffering from tinnitus, and the portability allows for easy accessibility while traveling due to its compact size.
4. Adaptive Sound Technologies LectroFan White Noise Machine
20 non-looping fan and white noise sounds with sleep timer and top-facing speaker.
- Comes in 2 different colors and 3 styles
- 10 fan sounds and 10 ambient noise variations
- Includes white, pink, and brown noise
- Powered by AC or USB
- Creates unique sounds that are non-repeating
- Automatic shut-off timer (60 minutes)
- Top-facing speaker
- Free shipping
- No nature sounds available
- Cannot be powered by batteries
- Timer has one setting only
Use LectoFan whenever you need a quiet environment, whether that’s a peaceful night’s rest, relaxation, or distraction-free study time. Boasting 20 digital sounds, you’re sure to find one that’s perfect for you. Weighing just over a pound, the lightweight and compact design makes it easy to transport. Adjust the pitch depth, while choosing between ten different volume settings. It also uses very little electricity. If you’re a particularly light sleeper, this machine is worth checking out because the volume output is fantastic.
5. SNOOZ White Noise Sound Machine
Fully adjustable tone and volume. Noise is produced from a real fan, and can be controlled via iOS or android app.
- Compact and portable design
- Adjustable volume and tone (10 settings)
- Comes with a companion app for both iOS and Android devices
- Includes remote control
- Nursery calibration option
- Comes in 2 colors – charcoal and cloud
- Free shipping
- App can be inconsistent
- White noise only and some reviewers wish it were louder
- Cord could be longer (no battery option)
- Price may be prohibitive for some
With its innovative and attractive design, and a 4 1/2 star rating, the SNOOZ is effective at blocking out annoying noises, including snoring, barking dogs, noisy neighbors, and other distractions. Weighing only 1.2 pounds, it’s easy to carry with you whatever its needed. Pack it in your carry on bag when traveling so you can sleep soundly while blocking out annoying hotel sounds. And don’t worry about running it all night long as its energy efficient.
6. Sound + Sleep High Fidelity Sleep Sound Machine
Non-looping nature sounds, white noise, and adaptive sound technology.
- 30 non-repeating natural, real-world sounds
- Adaptive sound technology instantly adjusts audio
- Sleep timer with 4 settings (30, 60, 90, and 120 minutes)
- Automatic front-panel dimmer
- 3.5mm connector for audio for use with headphones or speaker
- Solid construction and high-quality design
- High-definition sounds lasting 30 minutes
- Free shipping
- Great customer service
- Static may be a minor issue in some modes
- Price may be too high for some buyers
The Sound + Sleep offers a wide range of sounds and options. Listen to seagulls, the ocean, a waterfall or distant foghorn to block out noisy teenagers or other disruptions. The realistic sounds and great volume of this machine are no match for many others on the market. Whether you need help falling asleep and staying asleep or just want to calm down after a stressful day at the office, Sound + Sleep has got you covered. The non-repeating sounds makes this unit worth the price.
7. Avantek White Noise Machine Rechargeable
30 non-looping fan and nature sounds with 7 timer settings and memory function.
- 30 soothing fan and realistic nature sounds
- 6 fan sounds, 13 nature sounds, 6 types of white noise, and 5 different ambient sounds
- Automatically adjusts volume to previous setting
- Built-in 35mm headphone jack
- Power adapter and USB cable included
- Rechargeable lithium battery for 10 hours of runtime
- Compact and portable design
- Timer option with user-friendly interface
- Three colors are available with three different price points
- 45-day return guarantee with 18-month warranty from purchase date and free shipping
- May create faint resonate beat frequencies
- A standard USB connection cable would be handy
With a 4 1/2 star rating, this white noise machine is a winner. Environmentally friendly, and weighing under a pound, this compact unit, complete with headphone jack, is convenient to use in libraries, airplanes, or other locations where a noise-free environment is necessary. In fact, it’s about the size of an Echo Dot. Use it at home if you have a headache, want to meditate, or just need peace and quiet.
8. Sleep Sound Machine By H. Guard
6 soothing sounds with adjustable volume and automatic timer.
- 6 natural sounds
- Automatic shut-off timer in 15, 30, and 60 minute increments
- 3.5mm headphone/earphone jack
- High-quality sound speakers
- Adjustable volume
- Portability makes traveling convenient
- Micro-port USB cable with wall DC adapter
- Satisfaction guaranteed with 30-day money back guarantee
- Excellent customer service with free shipping
- More sounds would be nice
- Volume could go a little lower
- Issues with connectivity are possible
This unit is compact and lightweight, has adjustable volume, with four-timer settings. You can even use it in your car if you’re trying to lull a fussy baby to sleep. The headphone jack allows you to take it anywhere for easy listening, and a fully-charged battery will last up to 40 hours.
9. Eaterhom White Noise Sound Therapy Machine For Sleep
9 natural and relaxing, non-looping sounds, for better concentration and relaxation.
- Non-looping, high-definition sounds
- Patented design
- Advanced digital sound with noise reduction technology
- A button is included for each sound, making selection easy
- Customized sound-masking effect for precise volume control
- Automatic shut-off timer with three settings (15, 30, and 60 minutes)
- Lightweight and portable
- Powered by USB cable or 4 AA batteries
- 24-month warranty with a 30-day return policy
- AC adapter not included
- Comes in one color only
- Sounds could be a little louder
With its patented design and premium acoustic sound, this little unit has nine different sounds, and 3-timer settings. Great for insomniacs, college students living in dorms, or those with migraines. The precise volume control lets you customize the volume to your liking, and the option to run on battery power makes it easy to take on the go.
10. X-Sense White Noise Machine with 30 Non-Looping Sounds
Portable sound machine with 30 volume levels, memory function, and 7 timer settings.
- 30 non-looping sounds (6 fan sounds, 6 types of white noise, 10 nature sounds, and 8 ambient sounds)
- High-quality speakers
- Memory function
- 30-volume levels
- 7-timer settings with audio tracker
- Automatic timer can be set between 1-7 hours
- Includes a variety of playback options
- Both a power adapter and micro USB cable included
- Comes in black and white
- Integrated lithium battery for uninterrupted run time
- Free shipping
- Power light on top of the unit is bright and can’t be turned off
- Some of the sounds can be annoying
Getting the volume just right has always been a big deal for me. With this machine, that isn’t an issue. Battery-powered and small, this unit literally fits in the palm of your hand, making it super simple to carry with you wherever its needed. The continuous play function lets you listen all night or choose between one of the 7-timer functions. And if you like loud white noise, you’ve found the perfect machine for you!
White Noise Machines For Babies
Number 11 is a bonus. It was too good to leave out. Although, all the machines reviewed above can be used for both adults, children, and babies, the WITTI DOZZI below has been specifically designed for babies, and comes with a build-in nightlight.
11. WITTI DOZZI White Noise Machine For Baby
Lightweight and portable with custom tones, fan volume, and nightlight.
- Lightweight and portable
- Plays pleasant white noise wave sounds
- Automatic time (60 and 120 minutes)
- Multi-colored ambient light
- 5v2A power adapter device
- USB charging port
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Free shipping
- I couldn’t find any cons
The WITTI DOZZI is effective at producing soothing and relaxing white noise sounds, perfect for use at night or when baby is napping. The soft ambient glow of the multi-colored lights replaces the need for a nightlight, and you can choose which color you’d like. Turn this feature off altogether if you prefer. The sleek and modern design makes it a welcome addition to any room, and would make a terrific gift for new parents. And it doesn’t get any better than a 5-star rating.
What Is The Best White Noise Machine?
Let’s Wrap It Up
I hope my review of these 11 white noise machines has given you an idea of what’s out there, and the features you want to look for. I love them because I’m such a light sleeper. And for babies, they’re simply a must. All you mothers out there know just how sacred nap time is, and your day goes so much better if your baby has slept through the night.
How is your sleep? Have you tried a white noise machine? Please take the time to leave a question or comment below. It helps all those reading this post!