Nothing is worse than insomnia and being a light sleeper doesn’t help matters. I know this from experience. The slightest noise will wake me up. Sleep deprivation is terrible for hormonal balance and immune health. White noise machines are indispensable if you’re in one of those negative sleep cycles or just a fussy sleeper in general. Here is my review of 5 of the best white noise machines to help you fall asleep and stay asleep.
Do White Noise Machines Work?
What exactly is a white noise machine and do they work? White noise machines produce a variety of ambient sounds, in the higher-frequency ranges, such as, falling rain, rustling wind, or other peaceful sounds of nature, promoting both relaxation and sleep.
These low, steady, peaceful hums block out distractions and noises so you can sleep soundly. White noise machines are somewhat of a misnomer because, in reality, many of them emit what is referred to as pink, and sometimes, brown noise. Noise color is determined by the frequencies it contains.
White noise comprises a wide range of frequencies, as does pink noise, but pink noise concentrates its sounds on the lower frequencies, creating deeper tones, which to some people are more gentle and subdued. Brown noise further emphasizes sounds in the low-frequency ranges, resembling the sound of rushing water, and is highly effective for promoting relaxation.
It’s no surprise white noise machines are also called sound soothers. I like that term because white noise is very soothing, helping you fall asleep and stay asleep. They’re definitely worth looking into it if you struggle with any kind of sleep issue.
Even if sleep isn’t your problem, white noise block out distractions if you’re trying to study or concentrate. They’re also great for meditation, relieving stress, and for those who have tinnitus or vertigo. They’re even soothing for pets. And if you work at night, and have to sleep during the day, they’re a lifesaver.
Features To Look For When Buying White Noise Machines
Here are a few features to look for before purchasing a machine:
- How many sounds are available?
- Can you customize the sounds?
- Does the machine have a timer?
- Is it electric or battery-powered?
- What type of noise does it deliver? White, brown, or pink?
- Is it reasonably prices?
- Is there a warranty and/or a money-back guarantee?
The Best White Noise Machines For Restful Sleep
Now to my review of some of the best white noise machines for sleep. They are in no particular order.
1. Homgeek White Noise Sound Machine
- Comes with a timer that you can set in increments of 30, 60, and 90 minutes with auto shut off.
- Small and compact enough to fit in the palm of your hand
- Adjustable sound control
- Loud enough to be heard in a large room
- A blend of 10 natural sound options with over 1,000 combinations
- Customize sounds to fit your needs
- Ability to stream your own music as it comes with a BT speaker that can connect with BT enabled devices
- Powered by AC or USB for convenient phone charging
- No cons from what I can tell
This sound machine has a 5-star rating with a ton of favorable reviews. It’s reasonably priced, and I love that you can customize the sounds. It’s also awesome that you can charge your phone from the USB port on the machine. Overall, this is a fabulous option if you’re looking for a white noise machine, and they offer free shipping as well!
2. Adaptive Sound Technologies LectroFan White Noise Machine
20 non-looping fan and white noise sounds with sleep timer and top-facing speaker.
- Comes in 2 different colors and 3 styles
- 10 fan sounds and 10 ambient noise variations
- Includes white, pink, and brown noise
- Powered by AC or USB
- Creates unique sounds that are non-repeating
- Automatic shut-off timer (60 minutes)
- Top-facing speaker
- Free shipping
- No nature sounds available
- Cannot be powered by batteries
- Timer has one setting only
Use LectoFan whenever you need a quiet environment, whether that’s a peaceful night’s rest, relaxation, or distraction-free study time. Boasting 20 digital sounds, you’re sure to find one that’s perfect for you. Weighing just over a pound, the lightweight and compact design makes it easy to transport. Adjust the pitch depth, while choosing between ten different volume settings. It also uses very little electricity. If you’re a particularly light sleeper, this machine is worth checking out because the volume output is fantastic.
3. SNOOZ White Noise Sound Machine
Fully adjustable tone and volume. Noise is produced from a real fan, and can be controlled via iOS or android app.
- Compact and portable design
- Adjustable volume and tone (10 settings)
- Comes with a companion app for both iOS and Android devices
- Includes remote control
- Nursery calibration option
- Comes in 2 colors – charcoal and cloud
- Free shipping
- App can be inconsistent
- White noise only and some reviewers wish it were louder
- Cord could be longer (no battery option)
- Price may be prohibitive for some
With its innovative and attractive design, and a 4 1/2 star rating, the SNOOZ is effective at blocking out annoying noises, including snoring, barking dogs, noisy neighbors, and other distractions. Weighing only 1.2 pounds, it’s easy to carry with you whatever its needed. Pack it in your carry on bag when traveling so you can sleep soundly while blocking out annoying hotel sounds. And don’t worry about running it all night long as its energy efficient.
4. Sound + Sleep High Fidelity Sleep Sound Machine
Non-looping nature sounds, white noise, and adaptive sound technology.
- 30 non-repeating natural, real-world sounds
- Adaptive sound technology instantly adjusts audio
- Sleep timer with 4 settings (30, 60, 90, and 120 minutes)
- Automatic front-panel dimmer
- 3.5mm connector for audio for use with headphones or speaker
- Solid construction and high-quality design
- High-definition sounds lasting 30 minutes
- Free shipping
- Great customer service
- Static may be a minor issue in some modes
- Price may be too high for some buyers
The Sound + Sleep offers a wide range of sounds and options. Listen to seagulls, the ocean, a waterfall or distant foghorn to block out noisy teenagers or other disruptions. The realistic sounds and great volume of this machine are no match for many others on the market. Whether you need help falling asleep and staying asleep or just want to calm down after a stressful day at the office, Sound + Sleep has got you covered. The non-repeating sounds makes this unit worth the price.
Although, all the machines reviewed above can be used for both adults, children, and babies, the WITTI DOZZI below has been specifically designed for babies, and comes with a build-in nightlight.
5. WITTI DOZZI White Noise Machine For Baby
Lightweight and portable with custom tones, fan volume, and nightlight.
- Lightweight and portable
- Plays pleasant white noise wave sounds
- Automatic time (60 and 120 minutes)
- Multi-colored ambient light
- 5v2A power adapter device
- USB charging port
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Free shipping
- I couldn’t find any cons
The WITTI DOZZI is effective at producing soothing and relaxing white noise sounds, perfect for use at night or when baby is napping. The soft ambient glow of the multi-colored lights replaces the need for a nightlight, and you can choose which color you’d like. Turn this feature off altogether if you prefer. The sleek and modern design makes it a welcome addition to any room, and would make a terrific gift for new parents. And it doesn’t get any better than a 5-star rating.
I hope my review of these white noise machines has given you an idea of what’s out there, and the features you want to look for. I love them because I’m such a light sleeper. And for babies, they’re simply a must. All you mothers out there know just how sacred nap time is, and your day goes so much better if your baby has slept through the night.
How is your sleep? Have you tried a white noise machine? Please take the time to leave a question or comment below. It helps all those reading this post!